Weed brownies can be likened to coriander, you either love them or hate them. The latter is usually caused by one bad experience that puts you off for life. However, if you know how to make weed brownies properly and ingest smartly, they can give you a long-lasting euphoric high that eventually leads to an intense period of relaxation.
So, if smoking is not your preferred way of getting high or you want to try something different, this is the article for you! When choosing what weed to use, read up on our website for strain reviews to get an idea of what effects you’d like to experience in your edibles.
We’ll describe how to decarboxylate your bud, a very important step. Then we’ll explain how to make your cannabutter that you’ll use in your brownie mix. After this, the actual making of the brownies will be explained. Lastly, we’ll share some pro tips on dosing and storage of your brownies. Let’s dive in.
1. Decarboxylate your weed
This is a vital step in the process of making edibles. Without this step, you may just end up with weed-flavoured brownies that won’t get you high. Instead, all you’ll experience is a sugar high coupled with immense disappointment. To avoid this, you need to know how to decarboxylate your marijuana.
Decarboxylation is important because cannabinoids found in raw cannabis (THCA and CBDA) are not the same as the THC and CBD that is inhaled when ignited or vaporised. THC and CBD are the psychoactive compounds of your bud, which is what you need for the brownies to get you high.
In the process of decarboxylation, think low, slow and methodically. Too cold or too hot means you’ll get an inconsistent activation of the THC and CBD in your weed. There are many ways of decarbing your weed, but we prefer the method that doesn’t fill your house with an overwhelming cooked-weed stench.
The key to preventing the stench is decarbing your weed inside of something, rather than laying it out on baking paper and putting it straight into your oven. Here is a step-by-step guide of our favourite way to decarb weed.
- 7-10 grams (low to medium tolerance) or 10-13 grams (medium to high tolerance) of good quality cannabis. Any of our strains will be a great option to use for edibles.
- Oven or roasting bag/ceramic cookware pot with a lid
- Loosely grind your weed. You don’t want it to be too finely ground, but it needs to be broken up. Scissors may be a better choice than your grinder for this one.
- If using an oven roasting bag, make sure there is some air in it. Then spread out the weed evenly. If using a pot, do the same and put the lid on.
- Bake your weed for 45 minutes at 120 degrees Celsius (250F). We like to shake the bag or pot every 15 minutes or so to make sure the weed is being baked evenly on all sides. If using a pot, do not remove the lid while you do this.
All ovens are different, so the time it takes for your weed to decarboxylate may slightly differ. You can check to see if your cannabis has been decarbed when it is dry and brown – not burnt.
Pro-tip: If you’re doing this for the first time, we recommend checking the oven frequently to ensure you don’t burn the weed.
2. Making Your Cannabutter
For this recipe, we use the classic Ina Paarman chocolate brownie mix. This mix requires ¼ cup of butter and ½ cup of canola or sunflower oil. You can choose to infuse either the butter or the oil with your weed, but we will be infusing the butter.
Almost any other brownie mix works for this recipe, but just make sure the amount of butter or oil you infuse is the same amount the recipe requires. Here is a step-by-step guide to make your cannabutter.
- On your stove, simmer 1 cup of water and ¼ cup butter until the butter has melted.
- As this mixture simmers, add in your decarbed weed and stir thoroughly.
- Keep at a low heat and simmer for 2-3 hours while stirring occasionally. The mixture must not reach boil at any point. Try keep it at around 70-80 degrees Celsius (160-180F).
- After 2-3 hours, let the mixture cool. Once it has cooled, strain the mixture using the cheesecloth into a container.
3. Making Your Weed Brownies
You’ve decarbed the weed and made the cannabutter. Now all you have to do is prepare your batter, and bake the brownies! To do this, you’ll need the supplies listed below.
- 2 extra-large or jumbo eggs
- All the cannabutter you’ve just made.
- ½ cup (125 ml) Canola or Sunflower oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) hot full cream milk
Follow all the instructions on the back of your Ina Paarman (or other) chocolate brownie mix box. The Ina Paarman brownie recipe instructions can also be found on their website.
The instructions will indicate you long you need to bake the brownie batter in the oven. Remember to only cut your brownies once they have cooled to provide a clean cut.
4. Storing Your Weed brownies
Obviously, it’s going to be difficult to eat 12 weed brownies before they go off – unless you’re making them for a group of people. This is why you may want to freeze some. For freezing, wrap your brownies very tightly in plastic wrap and store in your freezer for up to three months.
If you and your family/friends are able to finish the brownies within a week, wrap your brownies as if you were freezing them, but place them in the fridge. Do not exceed a week if storing in the fridge. Pro-tip: We’ve all heard (or experienced) the horror stories of unsuspecting people and pets digging into a stack of edibles and taking a lovely trip to the ER as a result. To avoid this, we suggest labelling your container wherever you choose to store it.
Summary of How to Make Weed Brownies
And there you have it, the easiest guide to making space brownies from scratch. You may be exhausted just by reading all those steps, but trust us, it’s worth it. We leave you with a warning though, start slow. There is nothing wrong with eating half a brownie to see how you feel.
In our opinion, it’s better to cautiously test your brownies than eat too much. You can always eat more, but you can never eat less. The time it takes for the edibles to take effect can vary, but you can expect feeling something after 30-60 minutes. However, wait at least an hour and a half before taking more – you’ll thank us later.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.